HostMonster is owned by Matt Heaton who is also the owner of BlueHost. The two web hosts are using the same server, datacenters and man power. While BlueHost is quite pricey, HostMonster is a low-cost hosting provider. Other differences lie on the number of databases, email accounts and some minor features. HostMonster offers an easy to learn and use interface that allows the whole website building experience simple even for those with no html experience.
Hostmonster Hosting Plan:
HostMonster offers one plan dedicated to cater to all hosting needs. The advantage? It spares you the time of calculating and comparing which plan is best for your needs. The disadvantage? Well it just leaves you no choice.
Single Shared Hosting Plan = $6.95 per month
12 months at $8.95 = $107.40 amount due at sign up
24 months: 7.95 a month = $190.80 amount due at sign up
36 months: $6.95 a month = $250.20 amount due at sign up
Control Panel: cPanel
MySQL Databases: 100
Space: 300 gb
Bandthwidth: 3,000 gb
Hosting Plan also includes: Spam Assassin and Fantastico Script Installer
Shell Access (SSH)
PHP Version 4 or 5
Custom PHP.INI Files
Features that are not included in the hosting plan and are optional:
- Additional Domain Names = $10.00 a year
- Privacy = $9.95 Domain Privacy per domain per year.
- Dedicated IP = $30.00 a year [$2.50 mo.]
- SSL Certificates = $45.00 a year
- Expired Account Reactivations = $30.00
- Postini Mail Filtering = $1.00/mo per e-mail address [prorated]
Hostmonster Customer Support
- 24/7 personal and professional support is provided to customers
- Live chat support
- Phone support that is toll free with average hold time of two minutes
- HostMonster is also known for its reliable technical support even to the most complex customer problems.
The GOOD – Hosting Plan includes Online Advertising Tools.
- Automatic Site Map for search engine optimization
- Boostability for Website Analysis
- Linkvana for one way links to customers to boost search engine page ranks
- Search Engine Submission Feature
- $125 in free advertising credits from google adwords, yahoo search marketing, and MIVA advertising.
The BAD — Stuff We Don’t Like About Hostmonster
- Additional Set Up Fee of $30.00 on plans less than 24 months, and this is not refundable. Other low-cost web hosts have already waived off their set up fees so this is quite a turn off.
- Does not accept plans on a monthly basis like other low-cost web hosts. Plan is at minimum of 3-month period and the other one is at 6 months. The only way you can waive off the P30.00 set up fee is to go for the 24-month hosting plan. Some customers are more comfortable with plans on a monthly basis, and this is not at all impossible with other web hosts. Although some web hosts charge more for a monthly basis plan.
- Some customers say that their phone support is quite hard to reach although once you get in touch with them, they can efficiently provide you with all the information that you need.